[Rd] Why R should never move to git

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 25 12:49:09 CET 2018

On 25 January 2018 at 06:20, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| On 25/01/2018 2:57 AM, Iñaki Úcar wrote:
| > For what it's worth, this is my workflow:
| >
| > 1. Get a fork.
| > 2. From the master branch, create a new branch called fix-[something].
| > 3. Put together the stuff there, commit, push and open a PR.
| > 4. Checkout master and repeat from 2 to submit another patch.
| >
| > Sometimes, I forget the step of creating the new branch and I put my
| > fix on top of the master branch, which complicates things a bit. But
| > you can always rename your fork's master and pull it again from
| > upstream.
|
| I saw no way to follow your renaming suggestion.  Can you tell me the
| steps it would take?  Remember, there's already a PR from the master
| branch on my fork.  (This is for future reference; I already followed
| Gabor's more complicated instructions and have solved the immediate
| problem.)

1)  Via GUI: fork or clone at github so that you have URL to use in 2)

2)  Run
      git clone giturl....
    to fetch local instance

3)  Run
      git checkout -b feature/new_thing_a
    (this is 2. above by Inaki)

4)  Edit, save, compile, test, revise, ... leading to 1 or more commits

5)  Run
      git push origin
    standard configuration should have remote branch follow local branch, I
    think the "long form" is
      git push --set-upstream origin feature/new_thing_a

6)  Run
      git checkout -
    or
      git checkout master
    and you are back in master. Now you can restart at my 3) above for
    branches b, c, d and create independent pull requests

I find it really to have a bash prompt that shows the branch:

    edd at rob:~$ cd git/rcpp
    edd at rob:~/git/rcpp(master)$ git checkout -b feature/new_branch_to_show
    Switched to a new branch 'feature/new_branch_to_show'
    edd at rob:~/git/rcpp(feature/new_branch_to_show)$ git checkout -
    Switched to branch 'master'
    Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
    edd at rob:~/git/rcpp(master)$ git branch -d feature/new_branch_to_show
    Deleted branch feature/new_branch_to_show (was 5b25fe62).
    edd at rob:~/git/rcpp(master)$

There are few tutorials out there about how to do it, I once got mine from
Karthik when we did a Software Carpentry workshop.  Happy to detail off-list,
it adds less than 10 lines to ~/.bashrc.

Dirk