[Rd] Inconsistent rank in qr()

Serguei Sokol sokol at insa-toulouse.fr
Tue Jan 23 11:36:41 CET 2018

Le 23/01/2018 à 08:47, Martin Maechler a écrit :
>      > Le 22/01/2018 à 17:40, Keith O'Hara a écrit :
>      >> This behavior is noted in the qr documentation, no?
>      >>
>      >> rank - the rank of x as computed by the decomposition(*): always full rank in the LAPACK case.
>      > For a me a "full rank matrix" is a matrix the rank of which is indeed min(nrow(A), ncol(A))
>      > but here the meaning of "always is full rank" is somewhat confusing. Does it mean
>      > that only full rank matrices must be submitted to qr() when LAPACK=TRUE?
>      > May be there is a jargon where "full rank" is a synonym of min(nrow(A), ncol(A)) for any matrix
>      > but the fix to stick with commonly admitted rank definition (i.e. the number of linearly independent
>      > columns in A) is so easy. Why to discard lapack case from it (even properly documented)?
>
> Because 99.5% of caller to qr()  never look at '$rank',
> so why should we compute it every time qr() is called?
1. Because R already does it for linpack so it would be consistent to do so for lapack too.
2. Because R pretends that it is a part of a returned qr class.
3. Because its calculation is a negligible fraction of QR itself.

> ==> Matrix :: rankMatrix() does use "qr" as one of its several methods.
>
> --------------
>
> As wiser people than me have said (I'm paraphrasing, don't find a nice citation):
>
>    While the rank of a matrix is a very well defined concept in
>    mathematics (theory), its practical computation on a finite
>    precision computer is much more challenging.
True. It is indeed depending of round-off errors during QR calculations and tolerance
setting but putting it just as min(nrow(A), ncol(A)) and still calling it rank of "full rank"
is by far the most misleading choice to my mind.

Once again, if we are already calculating it for linpack let do it in most consistent
way for lapack too. I can propose a patch if you will.

Serguei.