[Rd] Duplicate column names created by base::merge() when by.x has the same name as a column in y

Scott Ritchie s.ritchie73 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 01:15:01 CET 2018

Hi Frederick,

I would expect that any duplicate names in the resulting data.frame would
have the suffixes appended to them, regardless of whether or not they are
used as the join key. So in my example I would expect "names.x" and
"names.y" to indicate their source data.frame.

While careful reading of the documentation reveals this is not the case, I
would argue the intent of the suffixes functionality should equally be
applied to this type of case.

If you agree this would be useful, I'm happy to write a patch for
merge.data.frame that will add suffixes in this case - I intend to do the
same for merge.data.table in the data.table package where I initially
encountered the edge case.

Best,

Scott