[Rd] Warning from Sys.junction when using network drive.

MARK BANGHART mbanghart at ssc.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 6 22:50:55 CET 2018

I am running 3.4.3 on a windows server and I ran the code in a new session.

I get a warning when running packrat::init() on a project that is located on a windows network drive.
The warning I get is

Warning message:
cannot set reparse point 'U:/packrat5/packrat/lib-R/base', reason 'Access is denied'

The error is created based inside the function .Internal(mkjunction(fr, link)) which is called from Sys.junction().  I have run Sys.junction inside the RStudio debugger and I checked that the 'U:/packrat5/packrat/lib-R/base'
could be accessed via the windows file explorer before the .Internal(mkjunction(fr, link)) call is made.  Looking at the code for do_mkjunction(), the warning looks to be thrown based on the return status from DeviceIoControl.

I setup a project on the C: drive and tried the same packrat::init() code.

The call to .Internal(mkjunction(fr, link)) did not produce an error.

I would appreciate any help you can provide on this issue.

Thanks,

Mark