[Rd] Fwd: Re: Best practices in developing package:

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Thu Feb 1 16:36:59 CET 2018

Folding is a simple solution, but there are intrinsic problems, like the
need to embed the documentation in comments. If the user already has to
expand a fold to edit the docs, the IDE could instead just provide a link
or shortcut that jumps to a separate documentation file, written in
whatever language, Rd, markdown, docbook. For example, I could imagine
RStudio showing the rendered documentation in a side pane when the cursor
is on the function name/signature, and the user could somehow switch modes
to edit it. But there would be no need to mix two different languages in
the same file, and thus no ugly escaping, and no documentation obscuring
the code, or vice versa.