[Rd] formula(model.frame(..)) is misleading

Fox, John jfox @ending from mcm@@ter@c@
Fri Dec 21 17:16:40 CET 2018

Dear Martin,

Since no one else has picked up on this, I’ll take a crack at it:

The proposal is to define the S3 class of model-frame objects as c(“model.frame”, “data.frame”) (not the formal class of these objects, even though this feature was coincidentally introduced in S4). That’s unlikely to do harm, since model frames would still “inherit” data.frame methods.

It's possible that some packages rely on current data.frame methods that are eventually superseded by specific model.frame methods or do something peculiar with the class of model frames, so as far as I can see, one can’t know whether problems will arise before trying it.

I hope that helps,
 John

  John Fox, Professor Emeritus
  McMaster University