[Rd] Documentation examples for lm and glm

Martin Maechler m@echler @ending from @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Dec 17 09:05:28 CET 2018

    > I would argue examples should encourage good
    > practice. Beginners ought to learn to keep data in data
    > frames and not to overuse attach().

Note there's no attach() there in any of these examples!

    > otherwise at their own risk, but they have less need of
    > explicit examples.

The glm examples are nice in sofar they show both uses.

I agree the lm() example(s) are  "didactically misleading" by
not using data frames at all.

I disagree that only data frame examples should be shown.
If  lm()  is one of the first R functions a beginneR must use --
because they are in a basic stats class, say --  it may be
*better* didactically to focus on lm()  in the very first
example, and use data frames in a next one ...
.... and instead of next one, we have the pretty clear comment

  ### less simple examples in "See Also" above

I'm not convinced (but you can try more) we should change those
examples or add more there.

Martin