[Rd] Dealing with .git folder when using R CMD INSTALL

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Thu Dec 6 16:13:01 CET 2018

On 6 December 2018 at 15:59, Ralf Stubner wrote:
| On 06.12.18 15:19, Joris Meys wrote:
| > I know this R CMD build ignores these files and folders by default, but R
| > CMD INSTALL doesn't apparently.
|
| to me this is not apparent. I just tried "R CMD INSTALL ." in a package
| directory with a .git directory. This went without any problems. What do
| you observe?

Seconded. I joked off-list to Joris that this post failed to contain a MCVE
(== minimally complete verifiable example).  Witness below -- two
installations from a directory containing .git yet none in the installed
directory.  Could what you describe be particular to your OS or filesystem?

edd using rob:~/git/dang$ ls -a
.          dang_0.0.7.tar.gz  dang.Rproj   .gitignore  R              .Rhistory
..         dang_0.0.8.tar.gz  DESCRIPTION  man         .Rbuildignore  .Rproj.user
ChangeLog  dang.Rcheck        .git         NAMESPACE   README.md      .travis.yml
edd using rob:~/git/dang$ R CMD INSTALL .
* installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
* installing *source* package ‘dang’ ...
** R
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
* DONE (dang)
edd using rob:~/git/dang$ ls -a /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/dang/
.  ..  DESCRIPTION  help  html  INDEX  Meta  NAMESPACE  R
edd using rob:~/git/dang$ install.r
* installing *source* package found in current working directory ...
* installing *source* package ‘dang’ ...
** R
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
* DONE (dang)
edd using rob:~/git/dang$ ls -a /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/dang/
.  ..  DESCRIPTION  help  html  INDEX  Meta  NAMESPACE  R
edd using rob:~/git/dang$

Dirk