[Rd] ROBUSTNESS: x || y and x && y to give warning/error if length(x) != 1 or length(y) != 1

William Dunlap wdunl@p @ending from tibco@com
Thu Aug 30 17:44:43 CEST 2018

Should the following two functions should always give the same result,
except for possible differences in the 'call' component of the warning
or error message?:

  f0 <- function(x, y) x || y
  f1 <- function(x, y) if (x) { TRUE } else { if (y) {TRUE } else { FALSE }
}

And the same for the 'and' version?

  g0 <- function(x, y) x && y
  g1 <- function(x, y) if (x) { if (y) { TRUE } else { FALSE } } else {
FALSE }

The proposal is to make them act the same when length(x) or length(y) is
not 1.
Should they also act the same when x or y is NA?  'if (x)' currently stops
if is.na(x)
and 'x||y' does not.  Or should we continue with 'if' restricted to
bi-valued
logical and '||' and '&&' handling tri-valued logic?

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com