[Rd] Package compiler - efficiency problem

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 17 13:38:52 CEST 2018

Dear Karol,

I don't understand the models behind these function, but I can tell that
the code generated is very inefficient. The AST interpreter will be very
inefficient performing each scalar computation with all boxing,
allocations, function calls. The byte-code compiler removes some of the
boxing and allocation. While it could certainly compile faster, it will
always be taking long compiling such functions with so many commands: so
many expressions to track, so many source references to map, for so
little computation. The same code could be much more efficient if it
used vectorized operations and loops. The compiler cannot infer the
loops and vector operations from the code - it is not that smart and I
doubt it could easily be for R, but such optimizations could certainly
be done easily at a higher level, when optimizing computation within the
model, not within R with all its complicated semantics. I think you
could hope for ~100x speedups compared to current generated code running
with R AST interpreter.

So I think it might be worth thinking about writing an interpreter for
the model (the generator would compute function values on the fly,
without actually generating code). If that was too slow, it might pay
off to generate some intermediate representation for the model that
would be faster to interpret. If that was too hard, then perhaps
generating the code from the model in a smarter way (use vector
operations, loops). It is ok to do that opportunistically - only when
possible. With compilers, this is normal, optimizations often take
advantage of certain patterns in the code if they are present. If you
had more specific questions how to optimize the code feel free to ask
(also offline).

Certainly I don't want the existence of the byte-code compiler to
require you to switch from R to C/C++, that would be exactly the
opposite of what the compiler is aiming for. If it turns out you really
need a way to disable compilation of these generated functions (so they
run much slower, but you don't have to wait for them to compile), we
will provide it and using a hack/workaround it is already possible in
existing versions of R, with all the drawbacks I mentioned previously.

Best
Tomas