[Rd] SIGSEGV in R_RunWeakRefFinalizer, object allocated with Rcpp

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 10 14:17:29 CEST 2018

Hi Iñaki,

I think that "still reachable" memory is potentially a problem only if
you cared about (frequent) package unloading, and if package unloading
did not have correctness problems in the first place. I would only worry
about "memory leaks" reported by valgrind.

That your example (unloading a library while there is still an object
with a finalizer implemented in that library) segfaults on one system
but not another is not too surprising. Depending on the OS, the dynamic
linker, the current state of the system, etc - when the GC tries to run
the finalizer, it may point to inaccessible memory (segfault), but also
still to the code of the unloaded finalizer (possibly no segfault) or
something else. There is no way to distinguish between all these cases
before running the finalizer - neither the OS nor R can do it - we could
only in principle, with a lot of other problems and platform-dependent
hacks, detect when the memory is inaccessible, but that may not be worth it.

Best
Tomas