[Rd] SIGSEGV in R_RunWeakRefFinalizer, object allocated with Rcpp

luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu
Thu Aug 9 21:13:21 CEST 2018

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 9 August 2018 at 20:37, Tomas Kalibera wrote:
> | So to answer your original question, this could probably be handled in
> | Rcpp,
>
> Hm. Why do you say that / what did you have in mind?

We say it because it is true. Rcpp registers C finalizers and running
them after unloading will segfault. For now it would be better for Rcpp
(and everyone else) to explicitly discourage unloading as it is
unreliable on many levels.

What Rcpp could do to avoid segfaulting is to keep a weak list of all
objects to which it attaches C finalizers and arrange for those to be
cleaned up in an R_unload_<dllname> routine. Not clear it is worth the
trouble. At the R level we could provide more support for this since
we already have a weak list of objects with finalizers, but again not
clear it is worth the trouble.

Best,

luke

--