[Rd] vctrs: a type system for the tidyverse

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Aug 9 14:55:30 CEST 2018

Hi Hadley,

my point actually came from a data analyst point of view. A character
variable is something used for extra information, eg the "any other ideas?"
field of a questionnaire. A categorical variable is a variable describing
categories defined by the researcher. If it is made clear that a factor is
the object type needed for a categorical variable, there is no confusion.
All my students get it. But I agree that in many cases people are taught
that a factor is somehow related to character variables. And that does not
make sense from a data analyst point of view if you think about variables
as continuous, ordinal and nominal in a model context.

So I don't think adding more confusing behaviour and pitfalls is a solution
to something that's essentially a misunderstanding. It's something that's
only solved by explaining it correctly imho.

Cheers
Joris

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/