[Rd] Run garbage collector when too many open files

luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu
Tue Aug 7 22:47:42 CEST 2018

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018, Jan van der Laan wrote:

> Dear Luke,
>

> Thanks. See below
>

> On 07-08-18 17:07, luke-tierney using uiowa.edu wrote:
>> In R 3.5 and later you should not need to gc() -- that should happen
>> automatically within the connections code.
>
> Could you elaborate on what has changed in R 3.5? As far as I can tell my
> problem also occurs in R 3.5 (my computer is still on 3.4.4; but I assume the
> solaris CRAN machine isn't). And what do you mean with 'the connections
> code'? Is there something I can so/should do to have the garbage collector be
> a bit more aggressive in cleaning up my mess?

If you are not opening files through R connections then this is not relevant.

If you are opening files on your own via C or C++ level calls then it
is a good idea to run gc if there is a failure -- that is what the
connections code does. I would put this logic at a low level, inside
lvec and such, before signaling an error. But this should be a
fall-back. You might be starving other libraries of file handles

>> Nevertheless, I would recommend redesigning your approach to avoid
>> hanging onto open file connections as these are a scarce resource.
>> You can keep around your temporary files without having them open and
>> only open/close them on access, with the close run in an on.exit or a
>> tryCatch/finally clause.
>
> I am afraid that this will have a large performance penalty.

Have you done enough profiling to be sure this is true, in particular
for realistic usage, not small toy examples? This would be the
cleanest design. You could also maintain a small cache of open files,
but that is more work to implement.

Best,

luke