[Rd] RFC: make as.difftime more consistent or convenient

dietm@r@schi@dler m@ili@g off m@@rol@@d-web@com dietm@r@schi@dler m@ili@g off m@@rol@@d-web@com
Wed Aug 1 08:48:50 CEST 2018

Hello!

you, Emil Bode <emil.bode using dans.knaw.nl>, wrote on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:55 PM:
> Some of the changes you're proposing could be made (with effort), but note that you're not
> restricted to providing strings with a format.
> What you're trying to do can be accomplished with as.difftime(12, units='weeks'), see also
> ?as.difftime
>
> Or if you're stuck with the strings: as.difftime(as.numeric(substring('12 w', 1, 2)),
> units='weeks')
> That also seems clearer, because in your script, the last part of your string simply gets
> ignored: as.difftime("12 h", "%H") reads your string for something that satisfies %H (which
> 12 does), then stops:
> as.difftime("12 hours and 17 minutes", "%H") gives 12 hours. If you wanted to check, you
> could have used as.difftime("12 h", "%H h")

Thank you for your comments! But, what you wrote is known. What do you want to express with regard to my questions?

I wrote:
> … there is no appropriate format ...,
> although "weeks" is a legitimate unit of 'difftime':
>
>     > as.difftime("12 w", "%...")
>
>     1. What do you think about making the behavior of 'as.difftime' more consistent by
> accepting also formats for "days" and "weeks"?
>
>     2. Even more convenient it could be if 'as.difftime' accepted strings containing
> magnitude and unit; how about:
>
>     > as.difftime("12 weeks")
>     Time difference of 12 weeks

I'm asking for comments in order to get feedback whether it would be well-received if I proposed or provided the former or the latter change on Bugzilla.
--
Best regards,
Dietmar Schindler

Confidentiality note:
This eMail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this eMail in error, then please delete this eMail.