[Rd] mean(x) for ALTREP

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Thu Apr 26 17:34:37 CEST 2018

Serguei,

The R 3.5.0 release includes the fundamental ALTREP framework but does not
include many 'hooks' within R's source code to make use of methods on the
ALTREP custom vector classes. I have implemented a fair number, including
for mean() to use the custom Sum method when available, in the ALTREP
branch but unfortunately we did not have time to test and port them to the
trunk in time for this release. The current plan, as I understand it, is
that we will continue to develop and test these, and other hooks, and then
when ready they will be ported into trunk/R-devel over the course this
current development cycle for inclusion in the next release of R.

My hope is that the end-user benefits of ALTREP will really show through
much more in future releases, but for now, things like mean will will
behave as they always have from a user perspective.

Best,
~G