[Rd] R 3.5.0 fails its regression test suite on Linux/x86_64

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:11:23 CEST 2018

On 24/04/2018 5:50 AM, Peter Simons wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch writes:
>
>   >> ./configure --without-recommended-packages && make && make check
>   >
>   > So you're getting paid to do what you do, but you want the volunteers
>   > in R Core to do some work for you for free.
>
> You are jumping to conclusions. Nobody pays me a single cent to package
> R for Nix; I do that purely as a hobby.

"Jumping to conclusions"?  You're the one who said "I have packaged free
software for 20+ years for many different distributions,
and, in fact, I'm doing that professionally these days as an employee of
one of the largest commercial Linux distributors."  Perhaps it wasn't
your intention to imply that R was one of those packages, but that seems
like a natural reading of your post.

>   >> If no-one wants to make those changes for whatever reason, then that's fine and
>   >> I'll just disable the test suite in NixOS to make the build succeed. I feel like
>   >> that would be a sub-optimal solution, though.
>   >
>   > I agree. You should spend some time working out a better one.
>
> Well, you know, every so often, I reach out to people in a free software
> community to make them aware of some issue I've run into. On some
> occasions, members of those communities respond in a helpful and
> friendly manner that impresses me because these people are obviously
> thoughtful and issue-oriented and offer nuanced insight into the problem
> I've brought up, and then I feel like it would be fun to interact with
> those people to learn new stuff and maybe contribute something useful.
> That's the point about volunteering, right? People do it because they
> *enjoy it*, not because someone tells them to.

Your message sounded more like "you need to do this to make my job
easier", rather than pointing out an issue with a goal of helping everyone.

> So, you go ahead and have a very nice day, Duncan.

You too.  Here's a free gift:  https://xkcd.com/1984/.

Duncan Murdoch