[Rd] [FORGED] recordPlot/replayPlot not working with saveRDS/readRDS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 3 16:07:01 CEST 2018

    > Hi What you are doing "wrong" is loading a recordedplot
    > into the same session that it was created in.  The
    > saveRDS()/readRDS() works if you save in one R session and
    > then read in a different R session.  The assumption is
    > that if you are still in the same session that created the
    > recordedplot you still have the recordedplot (e.g., you
    > can just do replayPlot(r) instead of replayPlot(r2).  Is
    > that a bad assumption ?

Not "bad", really,  but somewhat *un*intuitive I believe to most
users, including me.
I would have done the same as Winston to check if saving and

Also, the error message we get is not very helpful:

    > saveRDS(r, 'recordedplot.rds')
    > r <- readRDS('recordedplot.rds')
    > png('test2.png')
    > replayPlot(r)
    Error: NULL value passed as symbol address

{coming from deep down: checkValidSymbolId() in src/main/dotcode.c }

I've pondered a bit and in the end found it easy enough to
tryCatch() the error, and "do the right thing" instead.
As that should typically only happen in exactly such a use case,
the change should be "uniformly >=" the previous state.

Ideally, maybe we (R core) would provide an R level API to a
"TRUE/FALSE" valued version of checkValidSymbolId() or its
caller, so that *from R code* one could check if the
recordedplot 'x' passed to replayPlot() with its external
pointers needs to be fixed up by
     x <- restoreRecordedPlot(x)
or not.

But that would be another topic I'd not get envolved deeply just now.

Martin