[Rd] Wayback and related questions (was: RE: I have corrected a dead link ...)

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Sat Sep 2 12:17:42 CEST 2017

> If the R project cannot use or reference any site that uses non-open
> code, including minified javascript - which appears to be the
> principle issue for GitHub - I suspect that you will be obliged to
> discontinue links to almost every journal, university, charity,
> government and research establishment site currently in existence as
> soon as GNU get round to assessing them.  I personally have great
> difficulty seeing that as sensible.

The policy that you suggest would indeed be completely stupid.
Fortunately, a reasonable policy that vaguely matches the current
practices is likely to affect hardly any documentation files.

I don't have a strong opinion as to whether publishing characteristics
of references should be a consideration during the composition of R
documentation files, and I trust the R developers to decide well.