[Rd] Natural vs National in R signon banner?

Paul McQuesten mcquesten at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 01:48:12 CEST 2017

Actually, I do agree with you about Microsoft.
But they have so many users that their terminology should not be ignored.

Here are a few more views:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_71/com.ibm.aix.performance/natl_lang_supp_locale_speed.htm
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/E26033/glmbx.html
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/nlsref/69741/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1n9bwctsthuqbn1xgipyw5xwujl.htm
https://docs.intersystems.com/latest/csp/docbook/DocBook.UI.Page.cls?KEY=GSA_config_nls
https://sites.ualberta.ca/dept/chemeng/AIX-43/share/man/info/C/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/nls.htm
http://scc.ustc.edu.cn/zlsc/tc4600/intel/2017.0.098/compiler_f/common/core/GUID-1AEC889E-98A7-4A7D-91B3-865C476F603D.html

It does appear, however, that what I call 'National Language' is often
referred to as 'Native Language'. And the 'National Language' terminology
is said to not be used consistently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_language

I do still feel, however, that claiming 'Natural Language' support in R
sets expectations of new users overly high.

Thank you for spending so much time on such a minor nit.

Regards