[Rd] split() - unexpected sorting of results

Peter Meissner retep.meissner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 21:33:18 CEST 2017

Hey,

I found this - for me - quite surprising and puzzling behaviour of split().

split(1:11, as.character(1:11))
split(1:11, 1:11)

When splitting by numerics everything works as expected - sorting of input
== sorting of output -- but when using a character vector everything gets
re-sorted alphabetical.

Although, there are some references in the help files to what happens when
using split, I did not find any note on this - for me - rather unexpected
behaviour.

I would like it best when the sorting of split results stays the same no
matter the input (sorting of input == sorting of output)

If that is not possibly a note of caution in the help pages and maybe an
example might be valuable.

Best, Peter