[Rd] str() not displaying names

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 16 22:00:16 CET 2017

> In some cases, str() does not print the "names" attribute of the object:
>
> u <- structure(c(5, 6), names = c("a", "b"), color = "blue")

> str(u)
> #  atomic [1:2] 5 6
> #  - attr(*, "color")= chr "blue"
>
> Is it a bug or a design choice?

> Originally asked here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/47185756/6656269

It's not a bug in the sense that a long time ago -- when I wrote
the first version of str(), for S-plus, before R existed --
I had decided that when  is.vector(.) was false, for whatever
reason, the atomic vectors should be shown as above.

I don't remember if S-plus used the same somewhat surprising
definition of is.vector(.) as R does (but I think it did):
it is only TRUE for a vector that has no other attributes than
possibly "names".

I did occasionally find that the historical choice probably was
not quite the best in hindsight, but never got convinced that it
should be changed...
Once I'll have finished the  deparse/dput/dump changes in
R-devel (hopefully within a week), and as R-devel has quite a
few small changes to R <= 3.4.x anyway, I may consider to change
utils:::str.default here  ... and have a few dozens of package
maintainers and R users live with the fact the str() outputs
will have changed in late spring next year ...

Notably if you or other give convincing reasons why it's worth
to change... but note that it's quite easy to give "Pro"
reasons, but there are "Cons" and for such cases a lot of "Cons"
are related to "there must 100's of 1000s of R code lines using
str(), and so there will be 100s of places where the output
changes, ( ... but then I'd guestimate that the change would be
to the better in most cases).

Martin

--
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich