[Rd] Memory address of character datatype

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:44:07 CET 2017

I'm not really disagreeing with this, but is not the point of pryr to let you investigate internals from the R level?

Building code that relies on pryr returning things with specific properties is very likely doubleplusunrecommended by pryr's author as well.

In that spirit, I suppose that you could reasonably wish for features that would let you peek at memory locations and follow pointers around, etc. As long as you don't poke() anything into memory, you are not likely to break anything. (Hmm, unless you try printing non-objects and suchlike...) Of course users should be aware that any change to R internals may invalidate previously working code (e.g., by changing the "24" in the OP's example).  I don't see any such functionality in pryr though.

-pd