[Rd] SUGGESTION: R Base Packages

TELLERIA RUIZ DE AGUIRRE, JUAN JTELLERIA at external.gamesacorp.com
Thu May 18 09:18:01 CEST 2017

Thank you Frederick for your comments:

They are really well justified.

> I think a "forum" or bulletin board system would be a detraction from the project and a distraction for the project leaders. Users have Stack Exchange - it's better than any forum we could create, and it
> takes care of itself.

An excellent idea would be to add in the R Project Webpage a link to RSeek, in order to put all together. This can be done in a fast and easy way.

> I too was annoyed by the state of the bug reporting system when I first started using R, and that was even before automatic account creation was disabled. I think the situation could be improved.
> I don't think it's a huge burden to tell bug reporters to ask for an account via the R-devel mailing list. But from what I can see the bug tracker doesn't make it clear that this has to be done. We should at
> least post a message on the main page explaining how people can create an account. This would be less work than what Juan is suggesting, but I think sufficient for our needs.

Yes, clarifying in the RProject webpage that accounts could be requested for bug reporting in Bugzilla would be a great news, but it shall be really good justified.

> I think this is a terrible idea. I've only been using R for a few years and while I find these "tidyverse" packages interesting and use them on occasion, I've also concluded that they change too quickly to
> be used in code that I want to stay working for a long time. They are largely based on experimental concepts. Being able to change and evolve is part of the strength of these packages. So I think putting
> them in the R Base distribution would be bad for all parties.

Totally agree.

> I think the R project web page looks great. It's simple and it loads quickly and doesn't try to mesmerize people. I like R's command line interface. It completes on symbols and files and I can easily use it
> with my favorite editor and run it in the terminal of my choice. I don't think that more effort should be put into developing bloated GUIs which try to enforce a standard way of interacting with R.

I agree, but, in my opinion,  the RGUI icons  shall have a little bit more modern look. Just a bit.

Thank you,
Juan