[Rd] stopifnot() does not stop at first non-TRUE argument

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Tue May 16 16:49:56 CEST 2017

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Martin Maechler wrote:

> [...]
> were fulfilled, such as
>
>    stopifnot(is.numeric(n), length(n) == 1, n == round(n), n >= 0)
>
> or in the Matrix package, first checking some class properties
> and then things that only make sense for objects with those properties.
>

>    > At least that's how things are organized in the stopifnot() calls that
>    > accumulated in my code over the years. That's because I was convinced
>    > that evaluation would stop at the first non-true expression (as
>    > suggested by the man page). Until recently when I got a warning issued
>    > by an expression located *after* the first non-true expression. This
>    > was pretty unexpected/confusing!
>
>    > If I can't rely on this "sequencing" feature, I guess I can always
>    > do
>
>    > stopifnot(A)
>    > stopifnot(B)
>    > ...
>
>    > but I loose the conciseness of calling stopifnot() only once.
>    > I could also use
>
>    > stopifnot(A && B && ...)
>
>    > but then I loose the conciseness of the error message i.e. it's going
>    > to be something like
>
>    > Error: A && B && ... is not TRUE
>
>    > which can be pretty long/noisy compared to the message that reports
>    > only the 1st error.
>

>    > Conciseness/readability of the single call to stopifnot() and
>    > conciseness of the error message are the features that made me
>    > adopt stopifnot() in the 1st place.
>
> Yes, and that had been my design goal when I created it.
>
> I do tend agree with  Hervé and Serguei here.
>
>    > If stopifnot() cannot be revisited
>    > to do "sequencing" then that means I will need to revisit all my calls
>    > to stopifnot().
>
>    >>
>    >> I could see an argument for a change that in the multiple argumetn
>    >> case reports _all_ that fail; that would seem more useful to me than
>    >> twisting the code into knots.
>
> Interesting... but really differing from the current documentation,
>
>    > Why not. Still better than the current situation. But only if that
>    > semantic seems more useful to people. Would be sad if usefulness
>    > of one semantic or the other was decided based on trickiness of
>    > implementation.
>
> Well, the trickiness  should definitely play a role.
> Apart from functionality and semantics, long term maintenance
> and code readibility, even elegance have shown to be very
> important aspects of good code in ca 30 years of S and R programming.
>
> OTOH, as mentioned above, the creation of good error messages
> has been an important design goal of  stopifnot()  and hence I'm
> willing to accept the extra complexity of "patching up" the call
> used in the error / warning messages.
>
> Also, as a change to what I posted yesterday, I now plan to follow
> Peter Dalgaard's suggestion of using
>             eval( ..<n> )
> instead of   eval(cl[[i]], envir = <parent.frame(.)>)
> as there may be cases where the former behaves better in lazy

If you go this route it would be useful to step back and think about
whether there might be some useful primitives to add to make this
easier, such as

- provide a dotsLength function for computing the number arguments
   captured in a ... argument

- providing a dotsElt function for extracting the i-the element
   instead of going through the eval(sprintf("..%d", i)) construct.

- maybe something for extracting the expression for the i-th argument.

The might be more generally useful and make the code more readable and
maintainable.

Best,

luke

--