[Rd] bug report: nlme model-fitting crashes with R 3.4.0

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Thu May 11 18:19:51 CEST 2017

On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 12:23 +0000, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 06:37 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > On 11 May 2017 at 10:17, Erwan Le Pennec wrote:
> > >      Dear all,
> > >
> > >      I've stumbled a similar issue with the package cluster when
> > > compiling the 3.4.0 version with the settings of Fedora RPM
> > > specs.
> > > Compiling R with the default setting of configure yields a
> > > version
> > > that
> > > works for cluster... and nlme.
> > >
> > >      I did not find the exact option that was the cause of this
> > > issue
> > > but I'm willing to help.
> > >
> > >      Erwan
> > >
> > > PS: This is the reason why R is still at version 3.3.3 on the
> > > Fedora
> > > distribution.

> > That is a known issue with R 3.4.0 -- see NEWS.
> >
> > Packages using .C and .Fortran _must_ be recompiled for R 3.4.0. If
> > and when
> > you do, the example will work again.
> >
> > Dirk
>
> However, the issue raised by Erwan on Fedora is a real bug which
> affects at least two recommended packages. I know the cause of the
> problem and am trying to find out how many packages are affected.

Sorry for the false alarm. Dirk is right and the problem is the binary
incompatibility between 3.4.0 and 3.3.3.

If you try building the R source RPM with R 3.4.0 *without using a
chroot* then you get interference from the installed version of R (i.e.
3.3.3) when the %check section of the spec file is run. This is not a
bug in the spec file because you are not supposed to build an SRPM this
way.

If you build the SRPM *using mock* (the chroot tool used by Red Hat)
then the build fails for a completely different reason. The chroot is
not set up with time zone information and this triggers one of the
regression tests.

I'm filing a bug report with Red Hat. So hopefully we will see RPMs of
R 3.4.0 for Fedora soon.

Martyn