[Rd] R-3.3.3/R-3.4.0 change in sys.call(sys.parent())

Tomas Kalibera tomas.kalibera at gmail.com
Wed May 10 21:58:43 CEST 2017

The difference in the outputs between 3.3 and 3.4 is in how call
expressions are selected in presence of .Internals. R is asked for a
call expression for "eval". In 3.3 one gets the arguments for the call
expression from the .Internal that implements eval. In 3.4 one gets the
arguments for the call expression from the closure wrapper of "eval",
which is less surprising. See e.g.

(3.4)
 > evalq()
Error in evalq() : argument is missing, with no default

vs

(3.3)
 > evalq()
Error in eval(substitute(expr), envir, enclos) :
   argument is missing, with no default

(and yes, these examples work with sys.call() and lattice originally
used it in xyplot - perhaps it'd be best to submit a bug report/issue
for lattice)

Tomas