[Rd] deparse(substitute(x)) fails in implied call to an S3 print method

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun May 7 22:46:12 CEST 2017

On 07/05/2017 3:56 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
> In an implied call to an S3 print method, deparse(substitute(x)) returns
> "x", regardless of the name of object in .GlobalEnv, as indicated in the
> following:
>

>  > Xnamed <- 1
>  > class(Xnamed) <- 'name.x'
>  > print.name.x <- function(x, ...){
> +   namex <- deparse(substitute(x))
> +   cat('How can I get the name of x in .GlobalEnv?\n',
> +       'deparse(substitute(x)) gives only ', namex, '\n')
> + }
>  > Xnamed
> How can I get the name of x in .GlobalEnv?
>   deparse(substitute(x)) gives only  x
>

>        My real application is print.findFn{sos}, which displays in a web
> browser.  If the results of multiple searches are "printed", the name of
> the object in .GlobalEnv could help the user keep track of what was done.

I don't think there's any way around this.  Auto-printing of Xnamed
isn't equivalent to print(Xnamed); it doesn't happen until after Xnamed
is evaluated.  It assigns the result to a local variable called x, and
calls print(x).  (All of this is done in C code, and at that point I
don't think the original expression "Xnamed" is available any more.)

For your application, you may have to allow users to attach names to the
object.  I don't know how you're creating those things, but part of the
work could save a name as an attribute "SOSname", and then the print
method would use that.

Duncan Murdoch