[Rd] can we override "if" in R?

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 19:22:35 CET 2017

`!` is a generic, `if` is not. You can define an `if` that is generic,
but this might be even more dangerous....

❯ `if` <- function(a, b, c) UseMethod("if")
❯ `if.default` <- function(a,b,c) base::`if`(a, b, c)
❯ `if.foo` <- function(a, b, c) FALSE
❯ a <- structure(42, class = "foo")

❯ if (a) TRUE else FALSE
[1] FALSE