[Rd] Trouble installing packages when history mechanism is modified by user profile

Hugo Raguet hugo.raguet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 14:51:40 CET 2017

I tried installing the 'ks' package from my interactive R session, it
failed with the following

Erreur dans .External2(C_loadhistory, file) :
  aucun mécanisme d'historique des commandes disponible
Calls: <Anonymous>
Exécution arrêtée

second line is french for "no command history mechanism available", fouth
is "execution stopped".
This does not happen when I comment out the following line from my
.Rprofile:
utils::loadhistory(file = "~/.Rhistory")

On Stack Overflow, someone else has similar trouble with another package,
which seems to be also related to command history:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18240863/installing-packages-on-r-fails-when-loading-rprofile#18256224

Is this a bug in R, or in the concerned packages?