[Rd] Odd behaviour in within.list() when deleting 2+ variables

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:43:28 CEST 2017

This seems to be due to changes made by Martin Maechler in 2008. Presumably this fixed something, but it escapes my memory.

However, it seems to have broken the equivalence between within.list and within.data.frame, so now

within.list <- within.data.frame

does not suffice.

The crux of the matter seems to be that both the following constructions work for data frames

> aq <- head(airquality)
> names(aq)
[1] "Ozone"   "Solar.R" "Wind"    "Temp"    "Month"   "Day"
> aq[c("Wind","Temp")] <- NULL
> aq
  Ozone Solar.R Month Day
1    41     190     5   1
2    36     118     5   2
3    12     149     5   3
4    18     313     5   4
5    NA      NA     5   5
6    28      NA     5   6
> aq <- head(airquality)
> aq[c("Wind","Temp")] <- vector("list",2)
> aq
  Ozone Solar.R Month Day
1    41     190     5   1
2    36     118     5   2
3    12     149     5   3
4    18     313     5   4
5    NA      NA     5   5
6    28      NA     5   6

However, for lists they differ:

> aq <- as.list(head(airquality))
> aq[c("Wind","Temp")] <- vector("list",2)
> aq
$Ozone
[1] 41 36 12 18 NA 28

$Solar.R