[Rd] duplicated factor labels.

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 23 10:42:30 CEST 2017

    >> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Joris Meys <jorismeys at gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> To extwnd on Martin 's explanation :
    >>>
    >>> In factor(), levels are the unique input values and labels the unique output
    >>> values. So the function levels() actually displays the labels.
    >>>

    >> Dear Joris

    >> I think we agree. Currently, factor insists both levels and labels be unique.

    >> I wish that it would not accept nonunique labels. I also understand it
    >> is impractical to change this now in base R.

    >> I don't think I succeeded in explaining why this would be nicer.
    >> Here's another example. Fairly often, we see input data like

    >> x <- c("Male", "Man", "male", "Man", "Female")

    >> The first four represent the same value.  I'd like to go in one step
    >> to a new factor variable with enumerated types "Male" and "Female".
    >> This fails

    >> xf <- factor(x, levels = c("Male", "Man", "male", "Female"),
    >> labels = c("Male", "Male", "Male", "Female"))

    >> Instead, we need 2 steps.

    >> xf <- factor(x, levels = c("Male", "Man", "male", "Female"))
    >> levels(xf) <- c("Male", "Male", "Male", "Female")

    >> I think it is quirky that `levels<-.factor` allows the duplicated
    >> labels, whereas factor does not.

    >> I wrote a function rockchalk::combineLevels to simplify combining
    >> levels, but most of the students here like plyr::mapvalues to do it.
    >> The use of levels() can be tricky because one must enumerate all
    >> values, not just the ones being changed.

    >> But I do understand Martin's point. Its been this way 25 years, it
    >> won't change. :).

    > Well.. the above is a bit out of context.

    > Your first example really did not make a point to me (and Joris)
    > and I showed that you could use even two different simple factor() calls to
    > produce what you wanted
    > yc <- factor(c("1",NA,NA,"4","4","4"))
    > yn <- factor(c( 1, NA,NA, 4,  4,  4))

    > Your new example is indeed  much more convincing !

    > (Note though that the two steps that are needed can be written
    > more shortly

    > The  "been this way 25 years"  is one a reason to be very
    > cautious(*) with changes, but not a reason for no changes!

    > (*) Indeed as some of you have noted we really should not "break behavior".
    > This means to me we cannot accept a change there which gives
    > an error or a different result in cases the old behavior gave a valid factor.

    > I'm looking at a possible change currently
    > [not promising that a change will happen ...]

In the end, I've liked the change (after 2-3 iterations), and
now been brave to commit to R-devel (svn 72845).

With the change, I had to disable one of our own regression
checks (tests/reg-tests-1b.R, line 726):

The following is now (in R-devel -> R 3.5.0) valid:

   > factor(1:2, labels = c("A","A"))
   [1] A A
   Levels: A

I wonder how many CRAN package checks will "break" from
this (my guess is in the order of a dozen), but I hope
that these breakages will be benign, e.g., similar to the above
case where before an error was expected via tools :: assertError(.)

Martin