[Rd] duplicated factor labels.

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 18:24:34 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

Now I see what you're getting at. I misread your original mail completely.
So we definitely agree, and wholeheartedly even.

The use case you just gave, is definitely in my top 5 of frustrations about
R. I would like to be able to assign the same label to multiple levels
without having to use eg dplyr::recode_factor() or some other vectorized
switch statement to recode all data first.

I understand "it's been like that 25 years", but I've looked hard to find a
use case where adding this behaviour would invalid existing code and
couldn't come up with something.

So I add my (totally insignificant) vote for adding the possibility of
assigning the same label to multiple levels in factor() itself.

Cheers and thank you for bringing this up!

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Department of Mathematical Modelling, Statistics and Bio-Informatics

tel :  +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Joris.Meys at Ugent.be