[Rd] [WISH / PATCH] possibility to split string literals across multiple lines

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jun 14 15:48:22 CEST 2017

As I recall this has been discussed at least a few times (unfortunately I'm traveling so can't check the references), but the justification was never satisfactory.

Personally, I wouldn't mind string continuation supported since it makes for more readable code (I had one of my packages raise a NOTE in examples because there is no way in R to split a long hash into multiple lines), but I would be strongly against random removal of whitespaces as it's counter-intuitive, misleading and makes it impossible to continue spaces on the next line. None of the languages that I can think of with multiline strings do that as that's way too dangerous.

Cheers,
Simon