[Rd] Question about R developpment

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 03:47:25 CEST 2017

On 10/06/2017 6:09 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 10/06/2017 2:38 PM, Morgan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a question that might not seem obvious to me.
>>
>> I was wondering why there was no patnership between microsoft the R core
>> team and eventually other developpers to improve R in one unified version
>> instead of having different teams developping their own version of R.
>
> As far as I know, there's only one version of R currently being
> developed.  Microsoft doesn't offer anything different; they just offer
> a build of a slightly older version of base R, and a few packages that
> are not in the base version.

Actually, I think my first sentence above is wrong.  Besides the base R
that the core R team works on, there are a few other implementations of
the language:  pqR, for instance.  But as others have said, the
Microsoft product is simply a repackaging of the core R, so my second
sentence is right.

Duncan Murdoch