[Rd] Patch for R-exts.texi

Scott Kostyshak skostyshak at ufl.edu
Sat Jul 8 19:15:39 CEST 2017

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 06:18:25PM +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     > Attached is a patch for R-exts.texi against r72880.  Here
>     > are some of the changes I made:
>
>     > - Fix a broken link:
>     > https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/InstrumentsUserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html
>     ->
>     >     https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/InstrumentsUserGuide/index.html
>
>     > - Changed a few http to https (and checked that the
>     > connections are indeed secure, as judged by Chromium and
>     > Firefox).
>
>     > - A couple of grammar fixes and "sounds more natural to
>     > me" changes.
>
>     > - "x84_64" -> x86_64
>
>     > - One change of "which" -> "that"
>
>     > - The link to Luke's uiowa.edu page involves two changes,
>     > removing the duplicate URL and changing the protocol to
>     > https.
>
>     > Thanks for your time,
>     > Scott
>
>     > --
>     > Scott Kostyshak Assistant Professor of Economics
>     > University of Florida
>     > https://people.clas.ufl.edu/skostyshak/
>
>     > [DELETED ATTACHMENT external: R-exts.texi.diff, plain
>     > text]
>
> Thank you very much, Scott!
>
> This is a clear improvement
>  ((even though some of the style changes may be debatable - but only by native
>    English/American (;-) speakers, not me. ...))
>
> Hence I've committed it (R-devel, svn rev 72900).

Thanks for putting it in, Martin! I do my best to not impose American
English, but sometimes I just don't realize. I actually have adopted
several non-American rules because I find them more logical. For
example, I like to put punctuation outside of quotes, such as "this is a
quote", where for some reason in American English it is preferred to put
it as "this is a quote."

Thanks for taking the time to review the patch and commit it.

Scott