[Rd] How to handle INT8 data

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 21 19:04:28 CET 2017

On 21 January 2017 at 10:56, Hadley Wickham wrote:
| To summarise this thread, there are basically three ways of handling int64 in R:
|
| * coerce to character
| * coerce to double
| * store in double
|
| ## Coerce to character

Serious performance loss.

| ## Coerce to double

Serious precision + functionality loss.

Rember, int64, not int53, is what we are after. That that is what other
systems we want to interop with have (bigtable indices).

| ## Store in a double

Best approach in my book, and done in bit64::integer.

| This is the approach taken by the bit64 package (and, I believe, the

Incorrect.

That used an S4 class with two int32. The bit64 package has a bit on
comparison. But as int64 is abandonware it doesn't matter either way.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org