[Rd] How to handle INT8 data

Nicolas Paris nicolas.paris at aphp.fr
Fri Jan 20 18:47:55 CET 2017

Well I definitely cannot use them as numeric because join is the main
reason of those identifiers.

About int64 and bit64 packages, it's not a solution, because I am
releasing a dataset for external users. I cannot ask them to install a
package in order to exploit them.

I have to be very carefull when releasing the data. If a user just use
read.csv functions, they by default cast the identifiers as numeric.

$ more res.csv
"col1";"col2"
"-1311071933951566764";"toto"
"-1311071933951566764";"tata"

> read.table("res.csv",sep=";",header=T)
           col1 col2
1 -1.311072e+18 toto
2 -1.311072e+18 tata

>sapply(read.table("res.csv",sep=";",header=T),class)
     col1      col2
"numeric"  "factor"

> read.table("res.csv",sep=";",header=T,colClasses="character")
col1 col2
1 -1311071933951566764 toto
2 -1311071933951566764 tata

Am I comdemned to provide a R script with the data in order to exploit the dataset ?

--
Nicolas PARIS