[Rd] Debugging tools and practices in Windows?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:55:29 CET 2017

On 23/02/2017 1:36 PM, Javier Luraschi wrote:
> Hello r-devel, could someone share the tools and practices they use to
> debug the core R sources in Windows?
>
> For instance, I would like to set a breakpoint in `gl_loadhistory` and
> troubleshoot from there.

You're talking about debugging the C code rather than the R code, I think.

These days I mostly avoid debugging in Windows, but when I have to do
it, I use gdb.  There used to be a front end for it (Insight) that
worked in Windows, but I don't think it works with our current gdb
build.  Google names lots of other front ends, but I haven't tried any
of them in Windows.

The other choice is the old fashioned method:  add lots of Rprintf()
statements to the source and recompile.

Duncan Murdoch