[Rd] [FORGED] Re: Replaying a recorded plot (mixed base and grid) from pdf() in cairo_pdf() crashes R

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 22 00:32:09 CET 2017

Hi

I decided to blame cairo_pdf().

There is a fix in r-devel (r72242) that works for the reported case,
plus some basic sanity checks.

I could not complete 'make check-devel' because it was failing on
reg-tests-1d.R ...

 > stopifnot(length(fd) == 10, identical(fd, format(dct <-
as.POSIXct(dlt))))
Error: identical(fd, format(dct <- as.POSIXct(dlt))) is not TRUE

... anyone else seeing that ?

I would appreciate confirmation from a heavier user of cairo_pdf() that
I have not broken anything.

Paul

On 21/02/17 08:27, Paul Murrell wrote:
> Hi
>
> This appears to be happening (at least) because cairo_pdf() delays
> initialising a Cairo surface until BM_NewPage(), rather than
> initiliasing a Cairo surface in BM_Open(), and replayPlot() triggers
> some activity (set clip region) on the device BEFORE a new page is
> started (so the pointer to the Cairo surface is null, so BOOM).
>
> Not sure yet whether to blame replayPlot() for not starting with a new
> page operation OR to blame cairo_pdf() for not initialising a Cairo
> surface at device startup.
>
> If anyone who knows more about Cairo (or cairo_pdf()) wants to point out
> a good reason for the way cairo_pdf() currently works, please don't hold
> back.
>
> Paul
>
> On 21/02/17 05:30, Yihui Xie wrote:
>> A quick follow-up: I just used cairo_pdf() as the recording device,
>> and it crashes R as well, so it is probably not relevant to pdf() but
>> an issue specific to cairo_pdf().
>>
>> cairo_pdf()
>> dev.control('enable')
>>
>> library("grid")
>> plot(1)
>> grid.text("A")
>>
>> res = recordPlot()
>> dev.off()
>>
>> cairo_pdf()
>> replayPlot(res)
>> dev.off()
>>

>> Regards,
>> Yihui
>> --
>> https://yihui.name
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Yihui Xie <xie at yihui.name> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wonder if this is expected or I'm doing a wrong thing.
>>>
>>> pdf()
>>> dev.control('enable')
>>>
>>> library("grid")
>>> plot(1)
>>> grid.text("A")
>>>
>>> res = recordPlot()
>>> dev.off()
>>>
>>> cairo_pdf()
>>> replayPlot(res)
>>> dev.off()
>>>

>>>  *** caught segfault ***
>>> address 0x4, cause 'memory not mapped'

>>> R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31)
>>> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
>>> Running under: macOS Sierra 10.12.3
>>>
>>> locale:
>>> [1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>>>
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

>>> [1] tools_3.3.2 yaml_2.1.14
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Yihui
>>> --