[Rd] data compression in a package

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Dec 29 14:59:27 CET 2017

On 12/29/2017 07:34 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 29 December 2017 at 07:23, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. wrote:
> | The submission guide has the following cryptic (to me) sentence:
> |     "Reasonable compression should be used for data (not just .rda files) "
> |
> | The survival pacakge has a fairly large number of data files --- exactly what should I be
> | doing?   xz compression?
>
> See help(save) and its ilk -- compression is on by default. So just sit back
> and revel in how yet another task is already taken care of by R.
>
> Dirk

Ah -just a grammar issue.  I was reading it as "do good compression for your rda files and
everthing else too", and your interpretation is "remember the other data (not just rda
which is already taken care of)."  The survival package has about 2M of .rda files and
2.2M of vignettes so I'm still under the 5M boundary, but R CMD check nags about it.

Terry T.