[Rd] R CMD check warning about compiler warning flags

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri Dec 22 00:25:01 CET 2017

On 12/21/2017 01:02 PM, Winston Chang wrote:
>>> On recent builds of R-devel, R CMD check gives a WARNING when some
>>> compiler warning flags are detected, such as -Werror, because they are
>>> non-portable. This appears to have been added in this commit:
>>>     https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/2e80059
>>
>> That is not the canonical R sources.
>
> Yes, that is obvious. The main page for that repository says it is a
> mirror of the R sources, right at the top. I know that because I put
> the message there, and because I see it every time I visit the
> repository. If you have a good way of pointing people to the changes
> made in a commit with the canonical R sources, please let us know. I
> and many others would be happy to use it.

In case 'pointing to' is not to mean exclusively 'pointing a mouse at',
'a good way' can include typing at the console and living with the
merits and demerits of svn, and the question is not
rhetorical....(probably FALSE on all accounts, but one never knows...)

Check out or update the source (linux, mac, or Windows)

   svn co https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk R-devel
   cd R-devel
   svn up

browse the commit history

   svn log | less

and review the change

   svn diff -c73909

Restrict by specifying a path

   svn diff -c73909 src/library/tools/R/check.R

(I don't think one gets finer resolution, other than referencing the
line number in the diff)

View a range of revisions, e.g.,

   svn diff -r73908:73909

And find commits associated with lines of code

   svn annotate doc/manual/R-exts.texi | less

A quick google search (svn diff visual display) lead me to

   svn diff --diff-cmd meld -c73909

for my platform, which pops up the diffs in a visual context.

Martin Morgan