[Rd] Dialect for shell scripts

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:26:22 CET 2017

Solaris is pretty much dead at this point (closed source or not), but it is not the only oddball OS around.

The need to support a wide palette of (Unix) OS variations has been rapidly declining in later years. Fifteen years ago every supercomputer seemed to have its own set of OS quirks and we wanted to be able to support the cutting edge. Now things seem to converge on a few variations on the big three: Windows, MacOS, Linux, possibly on some parallel/cloud infrastructure.

However, it is probably worth maintaining the conservative defensive policies at least for a while yet.

(I suspect that the text in WRE is actually older than the current POSIX standard, which is what causes confusion as to what constitutes a Bourne shell. It may be worth editing it to say that we are in fact more restrictive than current POSIX.)

-pd