[Rd] OpenBLAS in everyday R?

Kenny Bell kmbell56 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 01:41:43 CET 2017

It seems like many of the multi-threaded BLASes have some sort of
fundamental problem preventing use in the way Juan suggests:

 - Dirk's vignette states that ATLAS "fixes the number of cores used at
compile-time and cannot vary this setting at run-time", so any
user-friendly implementation for R would have to compile ATLAS for 1-16
threads to allow the user to switch at run-time. This might dramatically
affect install times.

 - MKL seems like it's been outright rejected in the past based on not
being "free-enough".

 - OpenBLAS causes crashes.

Has anyone tried ExBLAS for use with R?