[Rd] Change to r-devel warns on #pragma

Patrick Perry pperry at stern.nyu.edu
Mon Dec 11 22:11:51 CET 2017

Dear Mark,

Thank you for the reply. I am not questioning the utility of compiler
warnings in general. If you look at the code snippet, you can see that I
am only disabling one warning ("-Wtype-limits"), in one line of code.
This particular warning is spurious, so I want to ignore it, but I want
warnings to be active for the rest of the project.

The specific issue is that I have a dynamic array of integers with an
int length. When I grow the array, I want to make sure that the size
doesn't overflow a size_t. I have an overflow check of the form

int n; // array size

if ((size_t)n > SIZE_MAX / sizeof(int)) {
    // handle overflow
}

The condition will never be true on a 64-bit architecture with
sizeof(int) == 4 and sizeof(size_t) == 8 but it might be true on a
32-bit architecture with sizeof(int) == sizeof(size_t). When compiled on
a 64-bit architecture with "-Wextra", gcc emits a warning. Clang does
not. I added the pragmas to disable this warning.

You might think that I could fix things by doing something like

#if sizeof(size_t) == sizeof(int)
/// check for overflow
#endif

but that won't work, because you can't use sizeof in a static #if. The
standard work-around is to use autoconf to define SIZEOF_SIZE_T and
SIZEOF_INT as in
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1921295/x64-compatible-c-source ,
but I'd rather not add a dependency on autoconf.

Patrick