[Rd] Possible repeat{} / break function bug in R 3.4.1

Peter Bosa Peter.Bosa at oregonmetro.gov
Tue Aug 22 16:39:50 CEST 2017

Hello, I've noticed the following error using repeat{} / break in R 3.4.1 running on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2008 (both 64-bit environments).

When running a repeat function, the break command causes an error message if the repeat command refers to code within a file, but does not produce an error if the code is contained within the repeat{} command.

For example, the following code runs fine:

x <- 1
y <- 5

repeat {
  if(x < y) {
    print("No Break Dance :-(")
    x = x + 1
  } else {
    print("Break Dance!")
    break
  }
}

[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "Break Dance!"

However, if I take the loop contents of the repeat{} function, and save them to a file (breakTest.R) that contains the following:

if(x < y) {
  print("No Break Dance :-(")
  x = x + 1
} else {
  print("Break Dance!")
  break
}

And then run the following code:

x <- 1
y <- 5

repeat{
  source("./breakTest.R")
}

I get the following error:

[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "No Break Dance :("
[1] "Break Dance!"
Error in eval(ei, envir) : no loop for break/next, jumping to top level

This was not an issue with previous versions of R that I have used, including 3.3.3.

Any suggestions? Is this a known bug with 3.4.1?

Cheers-
Peter

peter bosa
metro