[Rd] Control multi-threading in standard matrix product

Tomas Kalibera tomas.kalibera at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 15:53:15 CEST 2017

Hi Ghislain,

I think you might be comparing two versions of R with different BLAS
implementations, one that is single threaded (is your 3.3.2 used with
reference blas?) and one that is multi threaded (3.4.1 with openblas).
Could you check with "perf"? E.g. run your benchmark with "perf record"
in both cases and you should see the names of the hot BLAS functions and
this should reveal the BLAS implementation (look for dgemm).

In Ubuntu, if you install R from the package system, whenever you run it
it will use the BLAS currently installed via the package system. However
if you build R from source on Ubuntu, by default, it will use the
reference BLAS which is distributed with R. Section "Linear algebra" of
"R Installation and Administration" has details on how to build R with
different BLAS/LAPACK implementations.

Sadly there is no standard way to specify the number of BLAS worker
threads. RhpcBLASctl has specific code for several existing
implementations, but R itself does not attempt to control BLAS multi
threading in any way. It is expected the user/system administrator will
configure their BLAS implementation of choice to use the number of
threads they need. A similar problem exists in other internally
multi-threaded third-party libraries, used by packages - R cannot
control how many threads they run.

Best
Tomas