[Rd] tempdir() may be deleted during long-running R session

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Tue Apr 25 18:03:01 CEST 2017

Martin,

Thanks for your work on this.

One thing that seems to be missing from the conversation is that recreating
the temp directory will prevent future failures when R wants to write a
temp file, but the files will, of course, not be there. Any code written
assuming the contract is that the temporary directory, and thus temporary
files, will not be cleaned up before the R process exits (which was my
naive assumption before this thread, and is the behavior AFAICT on all the
systems I regularly use) will still break.

I'm not saying that's necessarily fixable (though the R keeping a permanent
pointer to a file in the dir suggested by Malcom might? fix it.), but I
would argue if it IS fixable, a fix that includes that would be preferable.

Best,
~G

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch