[Rd] "table(droplevels(aq)$Month)" in manual page of droplevels

Henric Winell nilsson.henric at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:40:40 CEST 2017

(Let's keep the discussion on-list -- I've added back R-devel.)

On 2017-04-12 16:39, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Nachricht <b66fe849-bb8d-f00d-87e5-553f866d57e0 at gmail.com>:
>> On 2017-04-12 14:40, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>
>>> The last line of the example in droplevels' manual page seems to
>>> be incorrect to me. I think it should read:
>>> "table(droplevels(aq$Month))". Amazingly (I don't understand)
>>> both variants seem to produce the same result (R 3.3.3): ---
>>
>> The manual says that "The function 'droplevels' is used to drop
>> unused levels from a 'factor' or, more commonly, from factors in a
>> data frame." and, as documented, the 'droplevels' generic has
>> methods for objects of class "data.frame" and "factor".  So, your
>> being amazed is a bit surprising given that 'aq' is a data frame.
>
> The "surprising" thing is the syntax: I was unaware that '$' is a
> generic operator that can be applied to the result of a function
> (i.e.: droplevels); I thought it's kind of a special variable syntax.

Then your surprise is unrelated to the use of 'droplevels'.

Since the 'droplevels' method for objects of class "data.frame" returns
a data frame, the extraction operator '$' works directly on the
resulting object.  So, 'droplevels(aq)$Month' is essentially the same as

aq <- droplevels(aq)
aq$Month

 > Isn't there also the syntax ``droplevels(aq)["Month"]''?

Sure, and there are even more ways to do subsetting.  But this is basic
stuff and therefore off-topic for R-devel.  Please see the manual
(?Extract) or, e.g., Chapter 3 of Hadley Wickham's "Advanced R".

Henric Winell