[Rd] Very hard to reproduce bug (?) in R-devel

Winston Chang winstonchang1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 22:46:29 CEST 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Robert McGehee <rmcgehee at walleyetrading.net>
wrote:

> Winston,
> I had a similar experience to you tracking down an insanely difficult bug
> in my R code that "disappeared" whenever slight changes were made to the
> script (e.g. like adding cat() statements). In my case, it coincided with
> my over-eager compilation of R and its library stack, as I was also
> experimenting with a cutting edge version of the gcc compiler as well as
> what I thought were innocuous performance enhancing CFLAGS like -O3/-Ofast
> -march=native. After downgrading gcc and recompiling everything (R and
> BLAS) without the extra flags, the problem went away. Not saying this is
> your problem, just sharing my similar experience.

Thanks Robert. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's encountered an
issue like this. "Insanely difficult" is an apt description. :)

I've been using the rocker/r-devel for testing. It compiles R with the
following CFLAGS:
  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-3.3.3=. -fstack-protector-strong
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g
It looks like it gets those settings from running R CMD config CFLAGS with
the already-installed version of R (3.3.3) which comes from a .deb package.
  https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker/blob/master/r-devel/Dockerfile#L76

I've also compiled R (again, in Docker) and tested with that, and gotten
the same results. It basically uses just `./configure
--without-recommended-packages`
and then `make`.